A mini quilt inspired by a Yoko Saito block.

Last year ended with a Christmas quilt top finished and the new year starts also with a finish.

As you know if you are a regular reader of my blog, last year I attended two classes with Yoko Saito. One class was an appliqué class that I will talk about later this year when I will be working on the project and the other class was a piecing class to make a very beautiful block with curves. These blocks were intended to create a bag called the Airship bag in Yoko Saito's book published last year by Quiltmania.



I do love this bag but I don't like making bags very much. I rather make boxes or other quilted items. That is why I have decided to make a miniquilt with these blocks instead. I have Jo Morton's book "Jo's little favourites" and found inspiration in her mini quilts. Like many people, I have a full time job, I practise sports and have a busy family life so making only large quilts is just impossible. So maybe miniquilts could be the solution. It is a nice way to try some intricate blocks, arrange them with some coordinate fabrics and create a mini heirloom in just a fraction of time.



 



Moreover, as I am a handquilter, I will be able to finish it quickly even if I decide on a very dense quilting pattern.



I chose a wide border for this quilt but will decide on how wide I will let it only when the top is handquilting and I am ready to bind it.



I still plan on doing at least one large quilt every year but will do more mini quilts in between just for the gratification of finishing something.

These days I have a very large quilt in my hoop and the quilting is almost finished. It is a country quilt (Born To Quilt) I made a few years ago as a BOM with many cottages in it. I will show it to you when it is quilted and the binding is on.

Next in line are : Market Memories (L'Atelier Perdu), Holly Jolly Christmas (Jan Patek) and Mountmellick (Di Ford Hall) and now my mini Airship quilt. It's a good thing I LOVE handquilting!!

I wish you all a wonderful new year!
Until later,

Comments

  1. It is beautiful! It sounds like you have a very busy year planned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo David pour ce mimi très réussit et un grand bravo pour ta dextérité pour ces blocs magnifiques.
    Je vois que tu vas passer de longues heures à quilter ..... Super.
    Bon quilting....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of plans for the new year! Beautiful quilt, very special block had not seen that before. Best wishes for a wonderful 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superbe ! je te souhaite une bonne année, santé et joie pour tous ceux que tu chéris !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Très sympathique ce mini quilt ♥ Joyeux quilting ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Yoko Saito is another of my favorite designers. Your mini quilt adaptation is exquisite! Another mini book you might enjoy is Laundry Basket Quilts "Little Handfuls of Scraps"... I dream of creating each and every quilt in that book! It's always good to have something to look forward to! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Edyta's book is on my wish list ;-)

      Delete
  7. Je suis dans le même cas que toi pour le quilting et cette nouvelle année y sera largement consacrée !
    Le mini est absolument magnifique de par ses blocs et ses couleurs ! Bravo !

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's lovely, David. I too have limited time to make more than one large quilt a year, so creating small quilts and pillows has become a creative alternative for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very smart and sweet looking piece. What great work you do! I just find it hard to 'handle' large quilts so stick to the smaller size out of necessity. Happy Hand Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's lovely, enjoy the smaller quilts

    ReplyDelete
  11. David...your work is amazing! I must read more and more of your blog to catch up. Just added you to my blog list on my blog blessingsofthread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment