Inspire

According to my dictionary, if someone or something inspires you to do something, they make you want to do it by giving you new ideas and the enthusiasm to carry them out.

That's a pretty good definition for what I have in mind.  I quilt because there are designs that inspire me. One of the reasons why I love to attend a class with a designer is because they inspire me. It is not only what I learn in a quilting class, as far as a specific technique is concerned, it is also sharing some time with creative people who make me dream, who make me want to pick up my needle, cut into my fabric and start sewing something. They inspire me.


I am not myself a very creative person. My joy comes from making beautiful things even though I am reproducing a pattern. I am a slow quilter so my production is not impressive, but who cares? I quilt for my pleasure.

Last November, I attended a class with Nathalie Méance from La Fée Pirouette. She was teaching a design that would become a bag. As I had no desire to make a bag, I decided to make a little pannel instead. I wanted this panel to  be traditional with a modern twist. Because I love the "newspaper" fabric that Nathalie had used in her latest BOM, I decided to use it as the background of the panel. Nathalie had picked up several fat quarters that she thought would work well and the only creative process from my part was to choose where to place them.

The result is very fresh, spring-like and I love it. I am also happy about the embroidery which I found challenging and about the trapunto which was a new technique I had not tried before.

Moreover, it's nice to start the year with a finish.

I took photos this morning and tonight. Because the impression is very different when taking with daylight and because I could not decide which are better, (yes, I love both) here are those taken this morning...






 

... and those taken tonight.



 



 

 I hope it can inspire you as well :-)

Until later,

Comments

  1. Congratulations, it's a lovely little quilt, with some nice techniques in it. It's not about the number of quilts you produce, but about the pleasure of making them. And your work is beautiful, so I wish you a lot of inspiration this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning little quilt and beautiful embroidery David! Nice to hear from you. Hoping your New Year goes from good to better! Lorraine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a very beautiful and unusual little quilt, congratulations with such a great finish :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful in both morning and evening light! Sending good thoughts for you and your wife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful. Beautiful workmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's absolutely lovely, David! I was so pleased to see a post from you. I hope all are well and encouraged in your family. Best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quelle belle idée David je le trouve plus beau encore avec cette finition et cette belle harmonie de tissus choisis. Belle année à toi et tes proches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. C'est Sublimeeeee une petite merveille.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to see you back! That is so beautiful. Your work is lovely, so precise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful little quilt David! It was lovely to find a post in my in box as you and your wife have been on my mind this week. Sending you lots of love and just a little bit of envy for the quilt! Penny L in Dorset U.Kxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rempli de finesse, de douceur...il est absolument magnifique !
    Et oui...ce panneau nous inspire !
    Merci ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your work is lovely and I have missed your posts. Sometimes I feel inadequate as a quilter because I use others patterns and designs. I think perhaps your point of view has made me rethink this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a piece of 'newspaper' fabric that I just keep admiring as-is and haven't yet decided what it will do. Your embroidery is stunning and so perfect for the fabric! All your pics are great but I found the first one mesmerizing....Interesting blog here, I'll be back ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. J'adore... tout! D'abord ton retour, puis ton travail... c'est magnifique!!! Et pout finir...c'est vraie... c'est un plaisir de partager de beaux moments avec des gens qui aiment l'aiguille et qui t'inspirent. Merci et félicitations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both of the pictures, in the morning and evening are wonderful!I love the fabric choice!The embroideries look fantastic.
    I wish you and your family all the best.
    Evelyne

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful insiration! great realisation!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing ~ the idea of combining so many varied techniques really does make this inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your thoughts about the pleasure in the making of things are very supportive. I sometimes think, when I see all the beautiful and original works of art people make, that I'd better stop! But your work is lovely! And it is good to see you back here!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very happy to read you again :-) Keep up the good work !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very beautiful... Nathalie's projects and classes are excellent! Your work is great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Comme je te comprends! Ton dernier ouvrage est merveilleux, l'ambiance du soir lui confère l'ambiance que je préfère! A bientôt

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your use of the text fabric, the text is not too big or overwhelming and it does add a modern twist to your beautiful work. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. David, te sigo desde que descubrí tu blog y siempre estoy deseando ver tus trabajos, de hecho, hay varios que miro a menudo.
    Este panel es una delicia, no dejes de hacer labores nunca...un enorme abrazo, os deseo lo mejor a tu familia y a tí.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful embroidery, I can see why you are inspired by this. You have done a fabulous job. Nice to read a post from you David.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful! As long as what you make is so lovely, it really does not matter if it is someone else's design. You still put your own personality in it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely piece and I was glad to see a post from you, it has been awhile, hope your wife is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous embroidery, thank you for sharing it with us.

    I hope all is going well with you and yours

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment