Books review.

I have read so many books lately that it is difficult to choose which ones to talk about. The Kinfolk Table Cookbook is fantastic as are the people in the book. The age issue of Kinfolk magazine has made me think about life and the fact that we are all growning old. The beautiful book Passagère Du Silence by Fabienne Verdié which was recommended by Verom from Côté Passion has moved me deeply ...........but I will here only talk about quilting books.

Before starting this post I want you to know that the titles of the books are in italics and the publishers are between brackets. If you want to see sample pages, go to the publisher's website and you will find a link to see a few pages from the book. (No affliliation with any publisher mentioned)
All the photos come from the publishers' websites and I couldn't change the size.

Well, back to my post.....As you may know by now, I like different quilting styles and have stopped trying to choose only one or two. This is way too difficult for me! Indeed, I like traditional reproduction quilts, Japanese taupe quilts and country, folk art and primitive quilts. I like reproduction fabrics, homespun, Japanese taupes, wool, linen, to name a few... I even like modern quilts when they are reinterpretations of traditional ones.

In every magazine I read, what I prefer is the story behind the quilts : what inspiration is behind,  when it was made, what fabrics were used. For the same reason I am always interested by books about quilt history.


Chintz Quilts from The Poos Collection (Quiltmania) is just perfect to bring  delightful hours of discovery and learning. What I think I really appreciate in this book are all the close-up photos.

 

Still about traditional quilts inspired by antiques, I  like Petra Prins and Ann Moonen's Promenade Dans Un Jardin Hollandais (Quiltmania). It is great to see the antique version and its interpretation side by side. This is my first book by Petra Prins and it is inspiring.




Now about the Japanese books that arrived on my book shelves.

First, Reiko Kato's new book Mother's Dream Friends (Quiltmania). Though I am not really a great fan of Sue and Billy, I really enjoy making the Quiltmania's 2013 BOM. It is fun and as always with Reiko Kato, there are so many details that the blocks are to die for!!! For the book I love how creative Reiko Kato is in her designs and must admit that I dream of making this round quilt on the front cover. I especially like the last row of houses and  I know the technique to finish the roofs. It is the technique I had learnt when making the round tulle basket with the row of houses a few years ago.






 Another great book is Les Modèles Traditionnels en Leçons  by Yoko Saito (Quiltmania). I am very happy to have the French version as in this book, there is a text for almost every block in the book and I wanted to understand what was written. These traditional blocks made in Japanese taupe fabrics are just splendid!!




Another book by Yoko Saito has just been translated in English. Japanese Taupe Color Theory (Stitch Publications) It  is a study book for the use of Japanese taupe colors. No translation in French existed! Now there are many aspects of the use of Japanese taupes which appear less obscure to me. I can now start planning a palette with my Japanese fabrics and gain confidence thanks to this book. I can use the taupe color wheel to select and organize my fabrics for a specific project.



For my love of country quilts, Quilt And Dog Cottage by Véronique Réquéna (Tutti Frutti éditions), is a fantastic book with projects for beginners as well as more experienced quilters. It is quite different from other quilting books as the approach to quilting is seen through decoration in the very specific style of Véronique Réquéna's quilt shop "Born To Quilt".
I have already made two projects from this book : a scarf (see previous post) and a small framed design with buttons which you will see as soon as it is framed. What I like is that each project can be adapted for your own house and home decor just by picking up your favourite fabrics.



And to finish this books review, the last book is by Maggie Bonanomi and is entitled Another Place and Time (Kansas City Star). I love what the author creates. In this book, she uses lots of neutrals and beiges and browns, not too far, in a way, from the Japanese taupe color palette but definitely in a very different style! One might see contracdiction in enjoying the detailed crafmanship of Japanese quilts and the simplicity and primitive look of the creations of Maggie Bonanomi. Well, I only see variety!  I like both and enjoy making projects from all these different designers.



Last but not least, I have, like many of you, discover the new App for Ipad from Quiltmania. This is not a PDF version of the paper magazine but more an expanded version of it with more photos and videos. I simply love the design and the interactivity of this app.
Though I am not ready  to give up the paper version yet, I may download an Ipad version from time to time.



Well, Christmas is just round the corner now, so  enjoy the holiday season. Here we will have the visit of two friends from Lake Oswego, Oregon who will spend Christmas with us and after that we will relax and keep on taking care of ourselves so that spring can see us celebrate a complete recovery for my wife.

Until later,

Comments

  1. Thank you very much, David, I really appreciate you review, I trust you taste and opinion :-) I have to say that I totally understand you talking about variety - I think it keeps the hobby interesting and challenging. Have a good Christmas, and all the best to your wife from the bottom of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many beautiful books to choose from....I wish to fill a room with them all. Thank you for the tip about the app for ipad from Quiltmania, I will follow that up.
    All the best for the festive season with your family and friends. Wishing your wife a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to read your reviews of these books - they all sound like 'must-haves'! This is my first visit to your blog and I love the work you do :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merci pour ce panorama de beaux livres. J'en possède quelques uns et j'avoue que tu as aiguisée ma curiosité... ma bibliothèque déborde mais j'adore les livres !
    Je te souhaite de doux moments en famille, entre amis. Profites bien des vacances qui arrivent.
    Des bisxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post David, thanks for the book reviews. I too have eclectic tastes and love Japanese taupes (though difficult to purchase here in Australia) so I'm putting Yoko's Color Theory on my Xmas wish list. I hope you make her circle quilt, I would love to follow your progress on that one. Many thanks for the heads up on the Quiltmania app, I've been waiting with bated breath for that to be released so I'm off to the AppStore now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great book reviews David. I too love all of my books and gain a lot of inspiration from them. I was not familiar with Yoko Saito's Color Theory, but thanks to you, I'm off to Amazon now to shop. I hope it's available there. Wishing you and your family the best for the season and the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great to get to know about all these books
    thanks so much David

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment